Tuesday, 17 April 2012

A few little things..

This flu bug has really knocked me about. After two weeks of feeling really poorly Im finally on the mend. I'm still really dizzy at times so better take things easy!

I've really missed sewing and thought I'd ease myself back into things with a small project. The result being a pretty needle case. I used the pattern from Cath Kidson's Sew book. I can see that book is proving very useful!

I think the fabric is so pretty. This is what it looks like inside



My OH suprised me with such a lovely thoughful gift. He had pleaced an order for some business cards advertising Sewing Tails...and Other Crafts!

I love the image of the little dog. Anyway this got me thinking of what I could use to store these cards and for my next project I made a very useful card holder.

Even though I was supposed to be taking things easy, I couldn't making myself a travel bag for my upcoming holiday

I can't wait to use it now as I feel a holiday would do me really good!


I've got several more projects that I would like to work on this week. I'm hoping to make up some more bracelets. I had a go yesterday and came up with these




I also took part in Love UK Crafters, which has been launched by Popular Crafts Magazine editor. More details can be found here. My work has been promoted in a short video clip!

Saturday, 7 April 2012

A new bag

I'm not quite sure where that lovely weather we had a week or so ago disappeared to but I was determined to make the most of it! Armed with fabric and sewing accsesories I enjoyed some sunshine and managed to do a bit of sewing. I had Cath Kidson's Sew book for christmas and had alot of fun making the bag on the front cover. I liked it so much I wanted to try out the lined verson.


As you can tell, I made a mistake with cutting out the pattern! I cut it out so all the dogs were upside down. I won't be doing that again, I shall always double check everything first!!

Unfortunately I hadn't got enough of the scottie dog material left over to cut out another two front bag pieces, so I made a patch work piece instead.

The New Design



Once I made sure all the pieces were cut out correctly (and double checked) I decided to add a pocket in the lining fabric which wasn't in the pattern.

I made the pocket by cutting out two rectangles matching the lining material, attaching interfacing to make it more sturdy. As you can see there are quite a few wrinkles here but I ironed most of them out!

Next I made up the outside of the bag, complete with T junction corners! I thought they looked difficult to do but it was actually quite easy.

The bag with lining complete with a zipped pocket

I decided to use webbing for the handles but needed to order some. Unfortunately while I was waiting for it to be delivered I came down with flu and for the last week been out of action. As soon as I feel well enough to sit at my desk with my sewing machine I shall be finishing off this little project!